Saturday, September 8, 2018

28 Years

Year 6 - Day 251: Today, I am grateful for 28 years. 

Four years ago yesterday was the day my best girlfriend for 28 went home to be with Jesus. When I speak of her... it is as "My Jill". She was 49 at her first breath of heaven. She is forever 49 in our memories. 

She loved my kids like her own. Most days, they were grateful for the second Mom and the days they found it annoying, they likely needed the direction and correction. Her first baby was my practice boy. Her youngest is equally precious and treasured. Her husband became like a brother to Randy and I. The four of us made our way through raising boys... together. 

We worshiped together. We played together. We vacationed together. We made traditions. We lived, laughed and loved. She shared her whole family... and she shared her heart. We did Friday nights and Sundays after church as families. We communicated nearly every single day. Although we met at Olivet, it was our time as newlyweds that grew our friendship and our time together in worship and community.  

Jill stood with us when I buried my sister September 2, 1995... and when we buried my Dad in April of 2013. And then, in 2014 we stood with broken hearts, with her family to grieve and say "Until we meet again." We can only imagine that heavenly reunion. Until then... I will be grateful for 28 years. 


Ironically, my sister was 28 when she died. Jill and I shared 28 years... beginning with shared rides to Peoria to visit our guys when we were engaged...1996 - 2014. 28 years. 

I don't know what the next 28 years will bring. I don't need to know. The Master's Plan is perfect, even when it doesn't make sense from our earthly perspective. His ways are not our ways. 

"“My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts,” says the Lord “And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine. For just as the heavens are higher than the earth, so my ways are higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts. -Isaiah 55:8-9

Today, I can celebrate that her faithful, selfless husband has found love again... and we truly love his new wife. She has the kindest heart. Jill's kids are doing well and serving Jesus. Her children walk in truth. She has the most adorable grandson. 

Do our eyes still fill with tears when we remember? Sometimes...but the ache is softer and the memories are sweeter. Her devotion to those she loved left us all better for the experience. Love never dies or is replaced, it just lives in a different space. It will be one of heaven's sweetest reunions. I am humbled that she chose to be my friend... in sunshine and in rain. 

She was good at numbers. I prefer letters and words. Different in some ways... and that made for a better friendship. I have no words to express the depth of my gratitude for the time and the relationship. 

Yes... great grief is never easy to live with and plow through... but when we feel it, share it, speak it... we are able to press on and get through it. Our faith makes us sure of heavenly reunions and that is a rich promise. 

Until we meet again...  

Today, I am grateful for 28 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment