Monday, September 3, 2018

Inexhaustible Gratitude

Year 6 - Day 246: Today, I am grateful that gratitude is inexhaustible. 

It is true. There is always something to be grateful for. We just have to focus and redirect our thoughts. The list goes on and on. 

Today, it might be gratitude for a long weekend, a rare chance to sleep in, someone else running to the grocery store for the staples like milk. These are all points of gratitude that pour light into our ordinary days. 

Gratitude doesn't change God it changes us. When we grow in gratitude, it strengthens our hearts. Courage takes root in a grateful heart. As we grow in gratitude our vision clears and we begin to understand that we have a God who provides all of our needs. He is our enough. That was a nutshell, Sparknotes version of "Daily Gratitude" years one through five. 

We are two thirds of the way through year six. Guess what? Each day still brings new reasons to be grateful.  

In this sixth year, savor has been a theme. Learning to savor my blessings and to let them fuel a grateful heart. There is much to savor. 

This past weekend, we savored our time Friday night Smith/Leander traditions with the whole crew (we are up to 12). We added in time back home with family celebrating a new marriage, singing with Mama and time with Lindgren cousins from far away. My sister-in-love (Jennifer's)  birthday seemed to happen twice since we were still awake at midnight for early birthday wishes. Sunday morning brought coffee and conversation with my brother and two nieces. Time with long treasured friends and catching up with some I've not seen in years was an added bonus. The weekend was full... and I still have a Monday to prepare for the new week. My gratitude cup overflows. 


Gratitude does not have to be fancy. In fact, some of my favorites are the most ordinary and simple. 


"Let everything that has breath praise the LordPraise the Lord!" -Psalm 150:6

Let each breath be celebrated and each moment recognized as the gift that it is. We are here to learn to love Him... and each other. Heaven is only one last breath away. Every day is a new chance to seek his face, celebrate his grace and embrace this time and place. 

I am grateful for those who are taking the gratitude journey with me. I learn so much from you. Together is the best place to be. I love Paul's greeting to the Philippians: 

"Every time I think of you, I give thanks to my God" Philippians 1:3(NLT) 

Doing life together... in a community... is how we learn, grow and go on to live the gospel. One day at a time. Gratitude doesn't change God it changes us. 

Today, I am grateful that gratitude is inexhaustible. 

No comments:

Post a Comment