Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Heart Health

Year 6 - Day 267: Today, I am grateful for reminders to pay attention to heart health. 

I love words and writing. Adjectives bring me pure delight. Semicolons make my soul sing (after I pause, appropriately, to take in their significance). Still, words can be very dangerous, which is why I hesitate to write some days. I know that I am imperfect and have so much more to learn of His Word and His Ways. I never want to mislead, misdirect or misspeak. 

Daily gratitude has been a place of soul searching and growth for me in daily application of His Word to my life over the past six years. I contemplate what to do in year seven. Gratitude has been good for my heart. It changes everything. 

I love Max Lucado's reminder that it's not eloquence he seeks... just honesty. 

"Don't worry about having the right words; worry more about having the right heart. It's not eloquence he seeks, just honesty." -Max Lucado

We need to pay attention to our heart health. Look at this passage: 

Guard your heart above all else, for it determines the course of your life. -Psalm 4:23

Look at "The Message" version that includes a few more verses:

Keep vigilant watch over your heart; that’s where life starts. Don’t talk out of both sides of your mouth; avoid careless banter, white lies, and gossip. Keep your eyes straight ahead; ignore all sideshow distractions. Watch your step, and the road will stretch out smooth before you. Look neither right nor left; leave evil in the dust. -Psalm 4:23-27

Just as paying attention to heart health can determine our earthly days, keeping watch over our heart health in spiritual ways impacts eternity. 

When the Pharisees and Sadducees were trying to debate with Jesus over good theology, this is what Jesus said:

Jesus replied, “‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’This is the first and greatest commandment.  A second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ The entire law and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments.” -Matthew 22:37-40 

Jesus was hanging out with tax collectors, fishermen, talking to Samaritan women to invite them to the table of grace, love, forgiveness and new life. He wanted to offer living water. The Pharisees and Sadducees wanted to argue about which commandment was the most important. Their knowledge and love of the scriptures blinded them, made them proud, arrogant and rendered them ineffective in loving people. 

They missed an all important truth. When we love God with all of our hearts and begin to see with His eyes, out of that passion grows a real, deep and sincere love for others. Perhaps, that is why he commands that come first. 

His Word is full of mystery and answers. It is good for our hearts! 


Today, I am grateful for reminders to pay attention to heart health.



No comments:

Post a Comment