Sunday, September 23, 2018

Freedom to Thrive

Year 6 - Day 266: Today, I am grateful for freedom to thrive.

"Perhaps, this is what this season is all about. Trusting in the unknown, finding gold in the little things, trading fear of what's uncertain for freedom to thrive within it. -Morgan Harper Nichols 

This weekend I was reading in Joshua as I was preparing one children's message and discovered another. I love studying the recorded story of the Israelites during their exile in the desert before entering Canaan. It is rich with lessons about how to live for and with God. There are examples of what what not to do, too.

Joshua is a part of that story, assuming leadership after Moses. Joshua was to lead the people into the long awaited Promised Land. He was a warrior but he was, also, in tune with the heart of God. He had human responses, but when confronted with "The Commander of the Lord's Army", he dropped to his knees with his face to the ground. 

Joshua at first wanted to know if the Commander of the Lord's Army was a friend or foe. I am smitten with this encounter. I keep re-reading it. Take a peek:

"When Joshua was near the town of Jericho, he looked up and saw a man standing in front of him with sword in hand. Joshua went up to him and demanded, “Are you friend or foe?”  “Neither one,” he replied. “I am the Commander of the Lord’s army.” At this, Joshua fell with his face to the ground in reverence. “I am at your command,” Joshua said. “What do you want your servant to do?” The Commander of the Lord’s army replied, “Take off your sandals, for the place where you are standing is holy.” And Joshua did as he was told." -Joshua 5:13-15

Neither!  Really? Was Joshua a bit taken back by that reply? I might have been. I would have expected a "Hey, I'm here to lead you into the promised land." Instead, what "the man" asked of him was to recognize that he was on holy ground. Not the response he was expecting, I am sure. 

Was he remembering the Lord's commission upon him?

Then the Lord commissioned Joshua son of Nun with these words: “Be strong and courageous, for you must bring the people of Israel into the land I swore to give them. I will be with you. -Deuteronomy 31:23

"Be strong and courageous." It isn't about "the win". It is about the relationship. God longs for each of us to find our way back to the truth of His goodness. He wants to be with us. He is with us. In the knowledge of his grace and goodness, we can do more than survive. We can thrive. 

Today, I am grateful for freedom to thrive.





No comments:

Post a Comment