Sunday, September 9, 2018

Citrus Fruit

Year 6 - Day 252: Today, I am grateful for citrus fruit.

In my opinion, citrus fruits provide us with summer out of season. They look like sunshine and taste sweet, tart and fresh. The scent awakens something inside that says, "Today is going to be a good day." 

As we move into the cooler months, citrus give that extra splash of freshness to many culinary delights. They are certainly part of the holiday festivities each year. I remember the "Little House on the Prairie" series from childhood. An orange at Christmas was a rare and special treat for the children. 

I take for granted that abundance of the fruit and the affordable prices for fruits in season. I turn up my nose if they aren't "just right". I forget to savor that there is always plenty at our local grocery store (unless you need eggs or milk at the start of a winter storm warning). Citrus fruit is nearly always ample in supply.

The goodness that the Lord poured out on each of us is as varied as the citrus fruit selection at my local market. We must taste to know that the Lord is good. We must be an active participant in seeking his face to know the joy of his grace.  

Taste and see that the LORD is good. Oh, the joys of those who take refuge in him! -Psalm 34:8

Yes... we must taste and see. When he is our refuge, there is joy. Unspeakable joy! 

Like the citrus fruits we enjoy even more in fall and winter, we learn to see his goodness in the sweet... and the tart moments of life. 

Today, I am grateful for citrus fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment