Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Blankets

Year 6 - Day 254: Today, I am grateful for blankets.


One of the reasons I enjoy the cooler temperatures are the blankets. I love to snuggle up in a super soft blanket with my toes free to breathe. Biology says we don't breathe through our feet, but I still breathe easier with toes exposed... even just one. 

I looked back through gratitude and 2013 was the last time blankets took the stage. That was year one, so it is time to revisit. 

There was a time that blankets were held as a gift of great value. It took a long time to make a blanket. Some were woven...some were from animal skins... and others pieced together from fabric scraps and sewn by hand. They were a part of a girl's preparations for marriage for thousands of years. 

There are quilts that have been handed down for generations. They hold memories, comfort and share a legacy of life and love that goes into making them. Art and heart. 

One of my favorite blankets (I have several) is one that is black and silky on one side and like a lamb's coat (minky sherpa) on the other. I've washed it many times over the years. It continues to retain the cozy softness I love. I keep it in the bedroom, just in case someone steals the covers. It is my insurance that I will remain warm. 

A blanket that feels like a lamb makes eventually turns my thoughts to the night our tiny savior arrived on the planet. We know shepherds visited and they young couple didn't have much. I always imagined the soft lambs snuggling close and offering their warmth when the night became cool. 

Today is September 11,2018. We are 17 years past 9/11. It changed how we, as Americans, perceived the safety of our home. It raised suspicion against our neighbors. Evil had it's way that day, but these two scriptures bring comfort and hope:

Hatred stirs up conflict, but love covers over all wrongs. -Proverbs 10:12

Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins. -1 Peter 4:8

We can't change the past. That day was a horrible day. The heroes were in uniforms and some were regular guys and gals. They blanketed others with their love, their courage and their lives. 

Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.-John 15:13

Today we remember... and we give thanks. We are grateful for cozy blankets to keep us warm, for Jesus who covers us with his cleansing blood and for the everyday heroes who blanket us with protection against injustice and evil.

Today, I am grateful for blankets.

No comments:

Post a Comment