Sunday, September 30, 2018

Letting Go

Year 6-Day 271: Today, I am grateful for the beauty in letting go. 

As a Midwestern girl for all of my life, I live each season anticipating the return of fall The leaves tainted in so many vibrant hues of red, gold, amber and eventually... they let go and float away. Their beauty spent, but the memory will remain. 

There is a place on I-74 in East Peoria as you drive into Peoria heading west that is like a picture that ends up as a puzzle. The kind of puzzle with a thousand pieces that a family works on together. It is a snapshot of God's glory reflected in nature. 


One of the wonders of fall is to walk through the woods as the leaves are letting go. It is the most colorful rain. When I was shooting Walker's senior pictures, we had a day like that. They tumbled all around us reminding us that letting go is a part of the beauty in learning to live fully. 

One of the things that rocked the boat for those choosing to follow Jesus or choosing the world came down to this: "What things are you willing to let go?" Some followed. Some couldn't do it. They could not lay down their desires and plans to trust Jesus with their journey. A sense of control was more important than trusting God.

The ones closest to Jesus simply followed. They didn't worry or fret... they dropped their nets and went. Wow! What courage! Right? The Message translation grabbed my heart today. 

"Don’t fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God’s wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It’s wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life." -Philippians 4:6-7 (The Message)

To trust and obey is a reflection of belief. Believing is receiving. Receiving brings a peace this world cannot steal. 

"The wise counsel God gives when I’m awake is confirmed by my sleeping heart. Day and night I’ll stick with God; I’ve got a good thing going and I’m not letting go." -Psalm 16-7-8 (The Message)

In the light of my imperfections and sins, I am always humbled by Christ's love and sacrifice. That he wants to personally guide our days and grant us peaceful sleep is a gift this world cannot know or steal. His love is enough. We learn to let go of things we hold dear, but can never satisfy. 

Today, I am grateful for the beauty in letting go.

No comments:

Post a Comment