Monday, September 17, 2018

Pack Light

Year 6 - Day 260: Today, I am grateful we can pack light.

"Every day we get to decide what we'll give to the world and what we'll take from it. Love big; pack light." -Bob Goff

I haven't purchased Bob Goff's "Everybody Always" yet, but it is on my list. I loved "Love Does". Why am I so smitten? Because it is so full of the simple truths about how Jesus changed the world and invites us to be on his team. 

The older we get, the more we discover that stuff means less, people mean more and moments are priceless. In a blink, everything can change. We need to be wise and good stewards, but we need to not cling too tight to things. 


When Jesus was building his team of disciples, those who couldn't pack light were left behind. It was the ones who dropped their nets and followed wholeheartedly who found themselves closest to the heart of Jesus. I can't imagine it. Touching his hand, the ability to hug him or to feel the beat of his heart in a comfort embrace must have been indescribable. 

I think of Lazarus, who lived with his two sisters. We don't know the backstory, but we know they were close to Jesus. Lazarus was not one of the twelve who traveled with Jesus. He, I suspect, cared for his sisters and their household. Not everyone can literally drop everything and go. 

Interesting note, it is suspected that some of the fisherman were quite successful in their family businesses. Business men who dropped everything and followed. How could they do that? There was certainly the element of faith, which is why they were chosen, but it is likely they had other family to help care for their wives and families in their absence. We know Peter had a wife and mother-in-law. He still followed. 

I like this quote because it reminds us of the value of packing light. The opportunity to simply change plans and go when the call comes. 

"Then he said to the crowd, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must give up your own way, take up your cross daily, and follow me." -Luke 9:23 

It isn't a call to irresponsible behavior. We are to be wise. We are to be good managers of our blessings. We want to be able to say "yes" when the call to action comes. We want to be able to pack light and not look back. Sometimes, there is not need to leave home. There is work to do, today, for the kingdom in our own hometowns... but busy calendars are a burden. 


Jesus still says, "Follow me."  

Today, I am grateful we can pack light.

No comments:

Post a Comment