Sunday, September 29, 2019

Love Big & Pack Light

Daily Gratitude Year 7-Day 273: Today...I am grateful we can love big and pack light.

Randy and I did a quick trip to Florida last March to spend a few days with our family there. We saw Monte & Jan, Leonard & Linda and Lola & Ken... an additional bonus was Cousin Becky. It was just a few days and we were on the move for all of it. We need to make these short trips more often... because it is better than long seasons of not seeing each other. 

Because it was a short trip, the Love of my Life thought we could travel with one carry-on and one personal item. Now, anyone who knows me at all is well aware I am not known for traveling light. I am a "just in case girl" who likes wardrobe choices and accessories. Traveling with one bag seemed insane to me. 

Guess what? I did it! Okay, Randy let me have a little extra space in his bag, but we did it! I traveled light. It was really kind of exhilarating. No choices for clothing... only two pairs of earrings and shoes. It worked and we had a great time. The make-up bag was even minimized to the basics. Who knew it was even possible?

How many times do I add additional, unnecessary burdens? Keeping it simple really is freeing. Why is it so hard to be satisfied with enough, when enough is not only all that we need... it is a perfect fit. 

This Bob Goff quote struck the right chord this morning. I listened to a song yesterday called "Just Enough" (Andrew Ripp) and it was still on my mind. 

In 2017, "Enough" was my one little word to focus and pray on for the year. It was an amazing word and is still a favorite. I hear echoes from the desert with Moses where  manna, quail, water from rocks and shoes  that never wore out were their enough. I remember the oil that didn't run out so the widow could make bread. I recall the fish and loaves that fed the 5000.  I lived it with one carry-on bag and a personal item. 

"We get to decide what we'll give to the world and what we'll take from it. Love big;pack light." -Bob Goff 

We live in a culture where abundance is a reality. Prosperity is preached in place of the gospel. Trust is placed in so many places... and God's will and his ways are frequently ignored. On Jesus's last night with his disciples, before he was taken from the garden and crucified, one of his last recorded conversations with the disciples revolved around trust and the truth about what is enough. 

"And he said to them, “When I sent you out with no moneybag or knapsack or sandals, did you lack anything?” They said, “Nothing.” He said to them, “But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one.  For I tell you that this Scripture must be fulfilled in me: ‘And he was numbered with the transgressors.’ For what is written about me has its fulfillment.” And they said, “Look, Lord, here are two swords.” And he said to them, “It is enough.” -Luke 22:35-38

In this passage, Jesus reminds them that he has proven himself to be trustworthy... but to also be responsible and prepared for whatever comes. Is it a mixed message? No. Not at all. Common sense and trust are compatible. He longs for us to be free. Free enough to go out and love a world that is hurting and lost. His provision is as real as His love... but common sense doesn't weigh an ounce and takes up no room in the bag. Love big; pack light! 

I learned a great deal from one carry-on and a personal item. 

Today...I am grateful we can love big and pack light.

No comments:

Post a Comment