Tuesday, October 15, 2019

Alarms

Daily Gratitude Year 7-Day 288: Today, I am grateful for alarms.

I rarely use one, but I always have one set... just in case. My brain is programmed that if I decide on a time and repeat the pattern, I don't typically need my alarm. In fact, I usually wake up before it goes off... even if I lay in bed waiting for it to sound. My Dad did the same thing and my brother, Matthew, too. 


Alarms can create stress, but they keep us on track, too. In the kitchen, alarms are essential. Some baked goods require a precise amount of time at the correct temperature for the best results. Cooking you can do with a smidge, a dash and a handful... baking requires us to be more exact. 

"Sound the alarm" is a cry for help or assistance. We have an alarm system in place in most public buildings, and some have them in private homes. Safety first, right? Alarms let us know it is time to flee a dangerous situation. 


If you watch the creatures of air and fields, they seem to have their own alarm system, too. If we watch them, we can be alerted to danger and even weather changes. As humans, we can become easily distracted and engrossed in things that are not to our benefit... and those things do not help us further the gospel. 

"Don’t copy the behavior and customs of this world, but let God transform you into a new person by changing the way you think. Then you will learn to know God’s will for you, which is good and pleasing and perfect. Because of the privilege and authority God has given me, I give each of you this warning: Don’t think you are better than you really are. Be honest in your evaluation of yourselves, measuring yourselves by the faith God has given us." -Romans 12:2-3

Honest self evaluation, humility and sincerity help us transform into "new people"; full of His Spirit and ready to answer any who ask about the hope we have in Him. Sound the alarm. Our God is still active, present, near and waiting. Are we ready?

Today, I am grateful for alarms.

No comments:

Post a Comment