Sunday, October 13, 2019

Burn The Ships

Daily Gratitude Year 7-Day 286: Today, I am grateful we can "burn the ships".

This year, my one little word has been burning. I still have much to learn. 

The idea of "burning" came up today in a relatively new "For King and Country" song. The name of the song is "Burn The Ships". 

The phrase origin goes back to 1519, when Captain Hernán Cortés landed in Veracruz. He instructed his men to "burn the ships". He wanted it made very clear that there would be no turning back. The would be committed to the mission before them. Quitting to return home was no longer an option. They had to forget what was behind them and press on into the unknown. 

Our faith walk can be like that, too, except we know there is the promise of heaven for those who believe, receive and find new life in Christ. Yes, there are unknown joys, successes, failures and sorrows ahead, but we are never alone. We can face the future knowing that prize is worth it. We can choose patience through the hard days. 

No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us. -Philippians 3:13-14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOVrOuKVBuY

"Step into a new day
We can rise up from the dust and walk away
We can dance upon our heartache, yeah
So light a match, leave the past, burn the ships

And don't you look back"

Great lyrics for a new day, a new week and new challenges ahead. 

Paul wrote this to the Philippians:
For I fully expect and hope that I will never be ashamed, but that I will continue to be bold for Christ, as I have been in the past. And I trust that my life will bring honor to Christ, whether I live or die. -Philippians 1:20

Keeping our eye on the prize and our heart in the mission changes everything. Our mission and purpose is simply this, "Thy will be done."

Today, I am grateful we can "burn the ships".

No comments:

Post a Comment