Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Handwritten Letters


Daily Gratitude Year 8- Day 15: Today, I am grateful for hand written letters.

One of my favorite things is a handwritten letter. I tend to type more than I write by hand these days. I work at a computer. Typing is fast and always legible. Yesterday, I received a four page, handwritten letter from one of our neighbors from Peoria Avenue in Peoria. It was the sweetest surprise. 

I was reminded of the joy in a handwritten letter.Randy and I both enjoyed hearing what she and her family had been up to since our last correspondence... but mostly, we were thrilled that she was well. She is well into her 80's. 

A handwritten letter is a precious gift. In this age of email and texting, I find I am more sentimental about the very personal gift of a handwritten note. This verse came to mind:

"Behold, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands;" -Isaiah 49:16a

Imagine, God writing our names in His own handwriting! How precious and priceless that would be. I wonder what a "God font" would look like? 

In this new year of 2020, we can take a step back and create a handwritten letter as a gift. It is a piece of ourselves. I want to make the time to send a handwritten note back to Miss Melba in return. When we share our hearts in letters, a moment in time is captured. 

Much of the New Testament is a collection of letters. We love to read them over and over. We never outgrow the joy of receiving a letter with our name on envelope. 

Today, I am grateful for hand written letters.

No comments:

Post a Comment