Monday, January 20, 2020

Healing Words



Daily Gratitude Year 8- Day 20: Today, I am grateful for healing words. 

In previous posts, I have mentioned that my 6th Grade teacher... who is now my friend... gave me a Thesaurus at my high school graduation. She wrote this note inside: "Words are a powerful thing; use them wisely." 

Pat Braun Schroeder... I will always be grateful for your gift and your heart for young writers. Your encouraging words helped shape a classroom full of thinkers, doers, readers and writers. I grew up with the most amazing circle of friends. Am am grateful we had some educators who demanded the best from us. 

Words are, indeed,  powerful. 

This scripture from Proverbs is the same but in different translations. 

"Gentle words are a tree of life; a deceitful tongue crushes the spirit." -Proverbs 15:4 (NLT)

"A healing tongue is a tree of life, but a deceitful one crushes the spirit." -Proverbs 15:4 (TLV)

"A gentle tongue is a tree of life, but perverseness in it breaks the spirit."- Proverbs 15:4 (ESV)

NLT... I love it for its clarity and easy reading. TLV... not my usual but I could not resist the "healing tongue" translation. The ESV... it is an excellent translation that has earned it great reviews. If you go to Biblegateway.com  you can choose a verse and pick on "all translations". It is a fun feature. Comparing translations can help us unpack all the good stuff in a scripture passage. 

Healing words can lift our spirits and help us put the pieces back together when we feel broken. There is no room for deceit or perverseness. 

What healing words can we offer to another today?

Today, I am grateful for healing words. 

No comments:

Post a Comment