Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Heart Tuning

Daily Gratitude Year 8- Day 22: Today, I am grateful for heart tuning. 


"Come thou fount of every blessing, tune my heart  to sing thy grace." -Robert Robinson

Robert Robinson penned these words at age 22 in the year 1757.The Old English seems archaic now, but it is a hymn I dearly love. It is all about gratitude and recognizing the source of good things in our lives. 

The song is not simply a "don't worry, be happy." It reflects on the blessings, the trials recognizing God's sovereignty... and his desire to be our redeemer. 

My favorite verse is "Here I raise my Ebenezer; Here by Thy great help I’ve come;And I hope, by Thy good pleasure,
Safely to arrive at home."

Many are unfamiliar with the reference, but it is worth a peek into the scriptures. Many times when God wanted people to remember something important, stones were involved. Like the Ten Commandments given to Moses on stone. There was another example in 1 Samuel. The prophet place the Ebenezer stone to remind the people of God's faithfulness. 

"Samuel then took a large stone and placed it between the towns of Mizpah and Jeshanah. He named it Ebenezer (which means “the stone of help”), for he said, “Up to this point the Lord has helped us!” -1 Samuel 7:12

It is good to remember and reflect. When life happens, with struggles and troubles, we can forget to sing his praises. What Ebenezer stones do we put in place today? They can help us tune our hearts to sing of His grace. 

Today, I am grateful for heart tuning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment