Monday, January 27, 2020

The Sweater

Daily Gratitude Year 8- Day 27: Today, I am grateful for sweaters.

In recent years, I run warm. I rarely find the need to wear a bulky sweater all day. I get to hot. Still, there are times that a sweater is the perfect answer to increasing comfort. Cotton sweaters are my favorite (I am allergic to certain wool fibers). 

When I think of a cardigan, I cannot help but think of Fred Rogers. I haven't seen the recent Tom Hanks movie, but I am a fan from childhood. I believe, his mother really did make his sweaters. The affection in his voice as he puts on his cardigan is genuine. 

"You know, when I put on one of these sweaters, it helps me to think about my mother," he continued. "I guess that's the best thing about things — they remind you of people."-Fred Rogers

The best sweaters are knit by loving hand, but even the one that comes home from Kohl's can wrap us comfort. When a chill takes us, having a wrap, a coat or a sweater provides comfort. Look at this little gem form Exodus:

"If you take your neighbor’s cloak as security for a loan, you must return it before sunset.This coat may be the only blanket your neighbor has. How can a person sleep without it? If you do not return it and your neighbor cries out to me for help, then I will hear, for I am merciful." -Exodus 2:26-27

When the chill sets in, especially at night, something cozy to wear is not just a luxury, it is necessary for good rest. 

I love a cozy cardigan. They easily slip on and off. Mr. Rogers made them famous, but sweaters have been keeping us warm for centuries. 

Today, I am grateful for sweaters.

No comments:

Post a Comment