Tuesday, June 2, 2020

Best People Scars

Year 8-Day 154: Today, I am grateful for the scars. 

How often do we see scars on someones face, arms, legs or even wrists? We wonder about their story. The "Love of my Life" had a bicycle accident that left some scars on his wrist. His siblings acted fast, but the story is that he lost a great deal of blood, enough to scare his mom and dad. 

Most of us have scars. Some are hidden. Others are clearly visible. Some bother us. Others, we forget about. I think of how many carry stretch marks from carrying babies or a big battles with weight loss. Some of have scars from car accidents, cancer treatments and other battles.Our scars are a part of our stories. If we live long enough, we eventually accept them as badges of honor... the kind survivors wear. Our God wants us to be resilient, but I think he, also, wants us to remember. 

There is a beautiful song by I Am They called "Scars" The lyrics are soul opening:

 "'cause my brokenness brought me to you... and these wounds are a story you'll use... so I'm thankful for the scars." You can listen to the link here, if you are unfamiliar with the song:

If you are unfamiliar with the song, check it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=6&v=ET-JOFXZ6T0&feature=emb_logo 

We celebrate and give thanks for healing, but I think there are times to pause and appreciate the scars that remind us the trials from which we've been delivered. 

"Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here, and look at my hands. Put your hand into the wound in my side. Don’t be faithless any longer. Believe!”-John 20:27 

Jesus invites Thomas to touch his scars. He brings attention to them, not in shame, but as an offering to help Thomas with his unbelief. His scars help tell the story of Jesus's love, sacrifice and resurrection. How do we offer up our scars as an offering?  Back to the song...  

"So I'm thankful for the scars
'Cause without them I wouldn't know your heart
And I know they'll always tell of who you are
So forever I am thankful for the scars"


We are called to offer our bodies as a "living sacrifice" so that Christ might be known, shared and glorified. If we get a little banged up along the way, remember the scars are not ugly. They are reminders of His might hand to rescue and safe. 

Today, I am grateful for the scars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment