Friday, June 5, 2020

Multi-generational Friendships

Year 8-Day 157: Today, I am grateful for multi-generational friendships. 

My entire life I have been described as an old soul. I didn't mind.  Perhaps, it is because I rate very high on the empathy scale. I was raised to respect and treasure people and things that have weathered some storms and survived. Maybe it is because I love old music, old books, old jewelry, old pictures and old movies, too. 

I was just thinking about "The Old Massey"... a tractor Grandpa Lindgren bought many years ago. Dad and Uncle Mel could have replaced it many times over, but there something about that tractor they all loved an respected. She(I think it was a girl) was a faithful friend for many years. They could not simply discard her because she was a little weathered. She was trustworthy... even when worn. They spoke of her like she was an old friend, and she was for many decades.  

When it comes to people, I have always savored circles of friends that are multi-generational. It is something my church family does really well. We are not a large congregation, but we are a family. Our seniors mix with the young marrieds and the teens often help with the youth. The new parents are encouraged by the empty-nesters. The empty-nesters smile as they remember the long days but short years of raising their families. Real friendships develop in the fellowship hall kitchen or loading trucks for the annual Relief Sale. I am very grateful that we are not separated by age or season of life for most gatherings. 

This week, we had the sweetest dinner invitation from a young couple in our congregation. It just so happens that their first home as a married couple is in our old neighborhood. We enjoyed every minute of conversation and the evening slipped away. The table was beautifully set. The meal was as tasty as it was pretty. Conversation was easy. I was reminded, once again, to recognize the value in multi-generational friendships. And... their house is the absolute cutest! They will make amazing memories there. They are mastering the art of hospitality. We are grateful they shared with us. 

For 30 years we have spent Friday nights with the same friends. From date nights, to diapers, through teen years... and, now, our kids are real adults. They know where we are on Friday nights and the more the merrier. It has become a multi-generational gathering and we feel very blessed. When the world gets a little crazy... traditions bring us comfort. 

Multi-generational friendships enrich our lives in a way few things can. You can't buy the wisdom in an 80 or 90 year-old persons head, but they can share it. You can't buy the calm and patience of a parent who has lived through chaos, sports schedules and quarantines and survived, but you can gather ideas for time management and prioritizing. You can't replace the value of a young adult willing to share their skills and time to help the less tech savvy with technology. There is nothing like a young adult's energy when passion, creativity and persistence is required. Young adults ask some of the best questions and give some of the most interesting answers. It is good to listen to their ideas and their hearts. We all learn from each other. I believe God designed us to grow together through every season of life. 

Tonight... I didn't have a scripture pop into my head as it often does. Tonight, I prayed... "I'm at a loss for scripture to support today's gratitude... "Do you have anything?" Seriously... here is my "Verse of the Day":  

 "Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." -1 Thessalonians 5:11

Well... that was a quick answer to prayer. Yes, when we cross generational barriers, we can encourage and build one another up. 

Today, I am grateful for multi-generational friendships. 

No comments:

Post a Comment