Saturday, June 13, 2020

Red Beans & Rice

Year 8-Day 165: Today, I am grateful for Red Beans & Rice.

One of the things about being home all day is having time to cook real food... from scratch. Red Beans and Rice is a family recipe learned from my sister-in-law, Billie Jane Smith back in 1992. 

I will be forever grateful for the memory of Billie standing with me... in our small galley kitchen... chopping ingredients together. It was so much fun to watch her and learn. Not real measuring. Throwing it in the stock pot and watching the magic happen. 

Billie shared a part of her family history. She brought with her when she joined the family, just like I brought in some recipes from my family of origin. Our recipes are a part of our story. 

That is how I learned to cook. Women together, in the kitchen, sharing tips and tricks. Cooking together is always more fun than cooking alone. Sharing it with loved ones makes it even better. A good meal does not have to be expensive or fancy. In fact, a big pot of red beans and rice will run about $10. I love that our sons know the smell when they walk in the house for a visit.

What meal is the equivalent of Red Beans and Rice in your family. I bet there is one. It might be chili, a certain soup or chicken and noodles. 

"Show hospitality to one another without grumbling."-1 Peter 4:9 

Showing hospitality is important. We are be hospitable with happy hearts... without complaining. Honestly, I love feeding people. I don't think "hospitality" is my "gift". Some people do it fabulously and effortlessly. For me, it takes a little planning, but there is joy in the process. 

Write down a family recipe you are grateful for today... or spend some time with someone in the kitchen. Life can be sweet and it can be savory. Make time for making memories that matter. 

Today, I am grateful for Red Beans & Rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment