Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Children's Songs

Year 6-Day 297: Today, I am grateful for children's songs.

Have you ever had a children's song speak to your heart? 

The power of children's songs came to light in the oddest place. We were at a nursing home leading a worship service on an ordinary Sunday morning in the little town of Eureka, IL. I don't exactly remember the scripture of the service, but we came to the conclusion that we would invite the nursing home residents to sing "Jesus Loves Me". Often the children sing it for them... but we chose to sing it as one of the hymns. 

That simple song, a children's song from their childhood, must have evoked memories too deep for Alzheimer's to steal or sweet for pain overpower. 

I will never forget their faces as we led that day. Their eyes became brighter, their smiles grew wider... or appeared for the first time all morning. It was all I could to keep my composure to the end of the song. Their faces moved my heart. It was so beautiful. Whatever their age or health condition, "Jesus Loves Me" revived the child inside. 

I am a contemporary music girl. We recently watched "I Can Only Imagine" and when Bart Millard received Amy Grant's "Never Alone" album on cassette, I was taken back to the songs of my childhood, too. That album was a powerful one in my Christian walk. Every song seemed to be "the right place song at the right time". The piano book is one that is never far from the piano bench. The songs of our youth root deep in our hearts. 

I have the joy of knowing a gal name Joyce. She is so special. Her love for the Lord makes her glow. She is wise and compassionate. She is a Deborah in our world. She spoke a blessing on us one Wednesday night that I still carry  with me. 

We were singing a children's song from our Willow Creek materials called "Davey, Davey". The song was a nutshell telling of David's life from shepherd boy to king. It was fun and silly. When we added gorilla-like chest beating. It never got old with the kids or the grown up. The chorus had a repeated line. "I want a heart that beats for you." And that is when we all acted like apes beating our chest. 

Joyce had stopped and listened enough times to recognize the value in that children's song. I didn't until she really made me contemplate the rich, but child friendly lyrics. I pray that word of faithfulness was written on the hearts of the children so they might know a full life chasing the heart of a God who loves them beyond measure. 

Remember it is a children's song, but it is worth a listen:


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6e_H2_kE-g 

Joyce discerned the value in the children's song and unwrapped for all of us. 

"I will give them hearts that recognize me as the Lord. They will be my people, and I will be their God, for they will return to me wholeheartedly." -Jeremiah 24:7 

With our whole hearts, we can seek, serve, sing and love. 

"Someone somewhere is depending on you to do what God has called you to do." 

It might be a song, carpool kids to a Wednesday night youth program, a simple blessing on their work or a big fat hug. (I saw Bob Goff last night so hugging is on my mind.) It might be singing a children's song to an elderly heart in a nursing home or in the neighborhood.

Today, I am grateful for children's songs



No comments:

Post a Comment