Friday, October 26, 2018

The Perfect Guide

Year 6-Day 298: Today, I am grateful God's word guides and corrects.

It is so easy to impose my culture, understanding and interpretation on others. Most of us tend to believe what we know is right. This was Saul's belief that inspired him to kill followers of Jesus with vigor and tenacity that made him feared and a legend. 

It is a good thing Jesus confronted him on that road to Damascus. In truth, had he come to know and believe sooner... Stephen may have lived longer, but ugly Saul's history was part of what made his passion for the Christ who confronted on that dusty road and changed his life. "In His Time...."is a powerful way to let things unfold. His timing is best. His way is always better.

This was my verse of the day:

"All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful to teach us what is true and to make us realize what is wrong in our lives. It corrects us when we are wrong and teaches us to do what is right. God uses it to prepare and equip his people to do every good work." -2 Timothy 3:16-17 (NLT)

The problem with being raised in the Word and in faith, it is easy to be completely convinced that the way I know is absolutely correct. Jesus calls us to humility and gentleness. The Spirit of Correctiveness is not a fruit of the spirit.

I am still smiling from my evening with my dear friend and sister, Donna. We shared Love Peoria and Bob Goff on Tuesday. What a night! I started his third book, Everybody Always. He challenges believers to do what is loving and kind, without judgment. This quote is one I underlined last week in my reading:

"As a lawyer, I win arguments for a living, but something has changed within me.  I want to be Jesus. I've concluded we can be correct and not right. Know what I mean? I do this most often when I have the right words and the wrong heart. Sadly, whenever I make my opinions more important than difficult people God made, I turn the wine back into water. I'm trying to resist the bait that darkness offers me every day to grade kindness for rightness." -Bob Goff, Everybody Always (page 7)

God's word guides and corrects. When applied to a life, the Spirit will not fail to guide and direct. God can use us to guide people to His Word and His Way. But, he wants us to love first. Really love them. Not to make them look like us, but to make them look like him. 

Today, I am grateful God's word guides and corrects.

No comments:

Post a Comment