Monday, October 29, 2018

Reminders

Year 6-Day 301: Today, I am grateful for reminders. 

"May I never forget on my best day, that I still need God as desperately as I did on my worst day." 

I always tell people in my life that I am not offended by reminders. Sometimes, too many balls in the air means one gets dropped. And when one gets dropped, sometimes others follow. Life requires juggling. Juggling is not always my favorite thing. 

I savor digging into one task and completing it with excellence. Most days in my life require a balancing act between what I need to do, what I am called to do and what I want to do. It reminds me of what Dr. Seuss said: “Step with care and great tact, and remember that life’s a great balancing act.” 

That balancing act requires preparation, prayer and pondering where the presence of God in what can seem the most unholy moments. My dear friend for a lifetime, Sally, gave me a precious book called "Every Moment Holy" (look for it at The Rabbit Room). It is liturgical in nature ... a book of prayers and readings for public worship... but it is so much more. It is a reminder that in even the most simple moments, we can find the holy. 

God's not only in our grand moments like births, deaths, baptisms, conversion experiences, and marriages... he is in every breath and every heartbeat. Again...

"May I never forget on my best day, that I still need God as desperately as I did on my worst day." 

In other words, living out Romans 12:1. 

"[ A Living Sacrifice to God ] And so, dear brothers and sisters, I plead with you to give your bodies to God because of all he has done for you. Let them be a living and holy sacrifice—the kind he will find acceptable. This is truly the way to worship him."-Romans 12:1 

Reminders of the mission and a mantra to keep the train on track is a great way to start any day or any week. Healthy self-talk is powerful. When we include God-talk, the impact is life changing. It may echo into eternity.  

I need reminders to make this day... and every day a living sacrifice. The act of laying all that we are... and all that we are not... at His feet for service. We don't have to be amazing, just willing. His amazing covers our imperfections and even uses those less than perfect pieces to his glory. He gives us beauty for ashes when our hearts say "yes" to His best for our lives.

Today, I am grateful for reminders. 

No comments:

Post a Comment