Thursday, November 15, 2018

Garage

Daily Gratitude Year Six-Day 319: Today, I am grateful for a garage.

Our little luxuries are not something to show off or brag about... they are a perfect place to build gratitude. 

I will never forget going from no garage to a one car that the Love of my Life always insisted held my car, even during the years I worked part time. When we built a new 2-car garage at our first home, it meant we both were spared the scraping of ice and snow from the windows on winter mornings. I was so excited for Randy. 

When we moved to Morton, the house had an attached garage. We had never in all of our lives had that luxury. Believe me when I tell you that we do not take it for granted for even one day. 

When my brother and SIL moved to their current home, my SIL still says that her favorite part of the house is the attached garage. Living in the country of flat land and winds, I know exactly what she means. Jennifer occasionally texts me her wind and weather alert that includes "weather small craft advisory". 

Jennifer and I have discussed this advisory at length.We are pretty sure that for them it means that at any time a small car, camper or boat could come flying through the air. The warning actually means that the winds are just under gale force. A garage protects from gale force winds. An attached garage means that dinner groceries don't end up in someone else's yard when moving them into the house. Jennifer still says often that it is her favorite part of her house. 

But you are a tower of refuge to the poor, O Lord, a tower of refuge to the needy in distress. You are a refuge from the storm and a shelter from the heat. For the oppressive acts of ruthless people are like a storm beating against a wall, -Isaiah 25:4

Now, to compare our Lord to a garage may seem silly, but it is a very visual reminder of His constant covering in our lives. When life heats up or cools down... He is with us. When we are scared or discouraged by ruthless people, He shelters us with his love. We can trust on his faithful presence... even when he is quiet. 

Today, I am grateful for a garage... and His shelter in times of storm.

No comments:

Post a Comment