Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Lessons from the Kitchen

Daily Gratitude Year Six-Day 325: Today, I am grateful for lessons learned in the kitchen.

I grew up with people who cooked. There was no "fast food" until Hardee's arrived in Kankakee and we would go on special occasions. We rarely went to a restaurant. Mama cooked. I'm not that old... my parents were that frugal . Dad liked watching Mama cook. He was king at the table and she was his servant queen. Very traditional and old school... and that is exactly the way they liked it. 

Mama Ina Mae never lost the wonder of abundance in the kitchen. A full pantry, a full freezer, plenty of milk for all and money to buy what she needed. She never took any of it for granted. She grew up sacrificing, so others could have what they needed... or wanted. "Milk is for the babies. One glass a day for the big kids." was Grandma Maxines' firm reminder. That was the rule for making sure everyone had what they needed. As a child, I recall Mama drinking a gallon of milk in no time, which was fine by me. I'm not a milk drinker.  

Lessons learned in the kitchen are too many to list. The camaraderie of working side by side with loved ones while preparing a meal is unique. My cousins... the Navy chefs... I know would agree. James and David cook big when they cook for a ship or a special event for dignitaries and they don't cook alone. My sons have figured out that there is romance in cooking together. Smart boys, right? 

For Thanksgiving, we will come together as sisters (by birth and in-love), brothers, aunts, nieces, nephews and cousins to make it happen. We have a huge meal attended by many. Mama is the oldest of ten and all are welcome around noon on Thanksgiving Day. Some come for all day. Some come later in the evening. Some live too far away, or are serving in the military. As least 40 - 50 people at noon... and the count is closer to 60-90 before the day is done. 

My brother and sister-in-law are gracious in sharing their home. It is a three ring circus at times, but the more the merrier. Friends,extended family, and neighbors come, too. It is the best family gathering of the year! Our Bess Family Thanksgiving extravaganza can't be explained... it has to be experienced. It is loving and loud. It is laughter and making more memories. This year, we will share our meal with Kenzie's Bradley University roommate from Hungary. 

In the kitchen, we learn about sharing and being welcoming. We learn patience while waiting for things to finish cooking. We learn to pay attention or things get burnt. We learn many hands make light work. We learn the seeds of love sprout and dig deep roots while we work side by side in the kitchen.

This scripture is perfect for the day: 


Most important of all, continue to show deep love for each other, for love covers a multitude of sins. Cheerfully share your home with those who need a meal or a place to stay.-1 Peter 4:8-9 

This weekend, make the moments count. I lost a special friend yesterday and I am reminded that the sweetest memories I have of Mike are the times we were shared a meal and fellowship in a home. I can't recall the conversations, but I know how the times together mattered. As my friend Julie says... "cherish every moment". Savor every minute. 

Today, I am grateful for lessons learned in the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment