Thursday, November 29, 2018

Our Most Important Work

Daily Gratitude Year Six-Day 333: Today, I am grateful for children are our most important work.

"Children are not a distraction from more important work. They are the most important work." -CS Lewis

There is no joy like sitting with a small child and discovering the world through their eyes. To listen to them put big thoughts together through limited language is one of my favorite things (along with bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens... thanks Earworm). Let us not forget that their sweet souls are the freshest from the knitting hand of God. There innocence is tangible at times.

CS Lewis and Dressember have been my unintentional themes this week. This quote reflects the importance of groups like International Justice Mission and A21 who receive much needed funding from the Dressember campaign.

The number of humans caught in the web of human trafficking is mind boggling. Did you know that the Superbowl is one of the biggest events of the year in the USA for those in the sex trade? This is not just an international problem, it is more local than you know. Law enforcement is stretched and poorly funded at time. In human trafficking, the more innocent the victim, the higher their value. In a short time, they become the used, damaged goods used carelessly by the heartless and the evil. They are expendable commodities.

My Dressember team this year is "Freedom by Dress". Most of my team have young daughters. My heart goes back to a story in my past of a young woman Dad met during his Gideon Bible jail ministry. She had no choice and no voice. She was not chained like so many youth in the trade, but her story was scary, real and took her freedom. Her goal was to break free and disappear. I never knew "the rest of the story" as she did indeed vanish from our lives. I was in my teens. I still remember the reality check of knowing the kinds of evil and dangers she faced were very real and closer than I ever believed.

Again and again, Jesus spoke to caring for widows and orphans. He reprimanded the disciples publicly for keeping the children from reaching his lap. They recognized Yeshua as someone special.

For souls caught in human trafficking, their wounds are deep. Rescue takes courageous men and women to fight the fight and that require funding. Love is an action verb. Some children long for the newest toy on the TV. Others desperately need rescue, warm clothing, shoes, counseling and tools to begin rebuilding a life with the freedom to choose.

I promise that after this week, I will not harp on Dressember all month. I will make my fundraising page available. This will be my scripture for the month of Dressember:

Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you. - James 1:27

https://dressember-2018.funraise.org/fundraiser/valerie-smith

If your Christmas giving has room for a donation, we will wear the dress for you, too. 

Today, I am grateful for children are our most important work.


No comments:

Post a Comment