Friday, November 16, 2018

My Shoes Don't Leak

Daily Gratitude Year Six-Day 320: Today, I am grateful my shoes don't leak.

Most of my shoes are not new, but they don't leak. If they do leak, I throw them away (except when I take them to Fred's shoe repair if they are favorites until he says "no more"). 

I do not have a true frame of reference for being truly hungry. Thirsty working in the fields, perhaps, but not hungry. With the multiple clothing sizes in my closet, I could open my own second hand boutique. God's provision has been far beyond what I really need. 

Like many girls and guys... I love shoes. I have things that make a new pair of shoes worth buying.  Funny how my criteria has changed over the years (from cute first to comfy first), but I am just as picky as I was in college. 

But to this day the Lord has not given you minds that understand, nor eyes that see, nor ears that hear!  For forty years I led you through the wilderness, yet your clothes and sandals did not wear out. You ate no bread and drank no wine or other alcoholic drink, but he provided for you so you would know that he is the Lord your God. -Deuteronomy 29:4-6

Their clothes and sandals did not wear out!!! Isn't that amazing? In the harsh desert environment, provided daily food (no party foods like fancy breads and wine) but he provided their daily needs. Jill and I savored this scripture when we spent a year reading the Old Testament with our Jr High youth at church. It was not boring. It was enlightening. God's faithfulness and provision never fail when his children listen, trust and obey. 

This scripture from Deuteronomy 29 is from a passage where Moses is addressing the Israelites, reviewing their covenant with God. It foreshadows future generations that include "foreigners" or Gentiles as you might be familiar with the term. 

“But you are not the only ones with whom I am making this covenant with its curses. I am making this covenant both with you who stand here today in the presence of the Lord our God, and also with the future generations who are not standing here today. -Deuteronomy 29:14-15

Forty years in the desert was an education in learning to trust and obey. It was a time for them to learn to be grateful for manna and quail... even when it was on the menu every day. It was a season of being grateful the shoes you have... and not obsessing about the ones you want. Want and worry are in constant conflict with trust and obey. God desires... actually, He commands us... to trust and obey. 

I have surpassed 40 years, and I still have not truly learned to trust his hand. I try to help and redirect God at times with my own plans. I am grateful we can continue to live, learn and grow for all of the days he grants us. I am learning to grow joy... not only in the abundance... but in any season of enough. 

Today, I am grateful my shoes don't leak.

No comments:

Post a Comment