Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Humble Servant

Daily Gratitude Year 7 - Day 15: Today, I am grateful for humble servants.

I am grateful this week for the ones plowing the roads, throwing ice down on sidewalks and drying wet floors to prevent falls. 

There are people who end up pulling the extra duty when something storms occur. There were nurses, doctors, aides and lab workers sleeping on cots over the weekend... if they were sleeping at all... so the sick would have needed care. 

People in all pay ranges can be humble servants. There is a strong correlation between humble service and joy, but many miss the opportunity. 

I, too often, miss the opportunity. "Doing the right thing" is, indeed, right... but the joy comes when we embrace it. 

When Jesus IS our enough, the world loses its luster and sparkle. When Jesus is Lord of our Life... it is his opinion that brings us peace and contentment, no matter how humble the service. If acts of service make us proud... we've lost something in the translation. 

Look at what Jesus did after he conquered death and rose from the grave:

“Now come and have some breakfast!” Jesus said. None of the disciples dared to ask him, “Who are you?” They knew it was the Lord. Then Jesus served them the bread and the fish." -John 21:12-14

I like how Bob Goff sums it up:

"When Jesus rose from the dead, he didn't make a speech, he made breakfast for his friends. - Bob Goff 

He didn't have to tell them he was great. They knew it. He didn't have to show off his miracle powers. He, actually, did the opposite. He made their breakfast over charcoal. We all know how long it takes to get charcoal ready, but it is worth the price. The same scent that caused Peter to remember he denied Jesus three times... would once again become a special pleasing scent. 

Our Lord doesn't miss a step, a beat or a detail. He gave Peter healing in asking three time if he loved him. Peter was able to cleanse his soul with his "Yes, Lord, I love you." with the smell of the charcoal to write the memory on his senses. 

When humility is a struggle and pride steps in... as it does with all of us who are truly human... I like to remember this verse:

“And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!’ -Matthew 25:40

We often associate it with opportunities to serve. It is perfect for that occasion, but it is more. What dawned on me this morning as I considered about Jesus serving his disciples breakfast after the resurrection in tandem with this verse is that even on my very best days... I am the least of these... and yet, he chose, in love, to take my place on the cross. 

Today, I am grateful for humble servants.




No comments:

Post a Comment