Monday, January 28, 2019

New Discoveries

Daily Gratitude Year 7 - Day 28: Today, I am grateful for new discoveries.

A secret part of me wanted to be an archeologist. A few of my Nancy Drew books and a visit to King Tut's exhibit with my family as a child planted the seeds for savoring new discoveries. I love history and storytelling. Archeology tries to do both.

In recent years, I have come to truly savor a dig into the Old Testament, because it illuminates the New Testament. The more we understand of the "before Jesus" part of the God's love story with humans, the clearer his purpose in Jesus becomes. I find I have a burning desire to dig deeper and learn more.

My Bible study group is reading Job. Not exactly light reading, but it is good stuff. We are all learning from the mistakes Job's friends made as he suffered. To contrast Job, we have been spending time in 1 John each Sunday in worship and Sunday School. Do they seem related?

Suddenly, is was if there was a new door unlocking and a tunnel in front of me. From the OT to the NT. The open door was inviting us to a deeper understanding. It is so exciting to make these discoveries.

Job spoke these words: “God is not a mortal like me, so I cannot argue with him or take him to trial. If only there were a mediator between us, someone who could bring us together. The mediator could make God stop beating me, and I would no longer live in terror of his punishment. Then I could speak to him without fear, but I cannot do that in my own strength.
-Job 9:32-35

Feel the heartbreak? God, in His time, supplies an answer to the cry of Job's heart.


My dear children, I am writing this to you so that you will not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate who pleads our case before the Father. He is Jesus Christ, the one who is truly righteous. He himself is the sacrifice that atones for our sins—and not only our sins but the sins of all the world. -1 John 2:1-2

He makes all things beautiful, in His time, but we have to be patient. Keep digging in The Word! New discoveries are ahead.

Today, I am grateful for new discoveries.

No comments:

Post a Comment