Thursday, January 31, 2019

Stay In

Journaling: Valerie Lindgren Smith

Daily Gratitude Year 7 - Day 31: Today, I am grateful we can stay in. 

John 15:4 was one of my "Verse of the Day" deliveries this morning. "Remain in" seemed perfect for another day INside with arctic temperatures outside. I know good advice when I hear it. -14F is warmer than yesterday's -19F. (Hard to believe we will see it near 50 degrees ABOVE zero on the weekend.) Some days, it is good to REMAIN IN. 

Let's visit this scripture in multiple translations. Here are three:

"Remain in me, and I will remain in you. For a branch cannot produce fruit if it is severed from the vine, and you cannot be fruitful unless you remain in me." John 15:4(NLT) 

"Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me." -John 15:4(ESV)

"So you must remain in life-union with me, for I remain in life-union with you. For as a branch severed from the vine will not bear fruit, so your life will be fruitless unless you live your life intimately joined to mine." -John 15:4 (TPT)

Abide is one of my favorite ways this verse is translated from the original Greek. 

ménō, men'-o; a primary verb; to stay (in a given place, state, relation or expectancy):—abide, continue, dwell, endure, be present, remain, stand, tarry (for)

Why do I love it? I think it is because it isn't just sitting there in Christ... but embracing the relationship in the experience of being held by Him... through all of our days and nights. No matter the trial or the triumph. He wants us to be with him and in him. 

It is being fully present while living and steeping inside of his love. 

The Passion Translation calls it a "life-union". We give Him our lives and he gives them back better! He delivers life with purpose, healing,  abundance and fullness. Now, like the tea bag... there may be some hot water, which is uncomfortable in the beginning.  

Like the branch on the vine, we need pruning to produce more and better fruit. When we are fully in Him, we can love better. When we love better, we light the way better and carry the gospel better to those in need of His hope, His love, His grace, His light,  His mercy and His peace. 

Stay in Him. Remain in Him. Abide in Him. 

A perfect lesson for every day, but especially on a day we need to remain inside for safety from the bitter cold. Many are feeling a little stir crazy. There is safety and goodness when we trust, obey and remain in. 

Today, I am grateful we can stay in. 



No comments:

Post a Comment