Friday, May 31, 2019

Home Libraries

Daily Gratitude  Year 7-Day 149: Today, I am grateful for home libraries.

Much of my leisure reading is done through audiobooks. They fit reading into my full days. Still, I love the feel of a paper book in my hands.  When technology is stripped away and we are back to basics... the original bound book will last for generations with proper care. 

Every once in awhile, I am struck by the reality that my bookcase inventory needs to be re-evaluated. When there is no more room, or the books on the shelf are not the ones I want to pull out first. I love a home library, but the space i limited. 

My daughter-in-law is a librarian. They have enough spare bedrooms to make one of them a library. It is a wonderful space full of her favorite books. It makes me smile just thinking about it. A room full of books is always inviting. 

This image is from Norway where they are masters and clean, simple and utilitarian. Still, this looks really sharp. A fair number of books colorfully line the shelves adding a "pop of color" to the white room. I've seen libraries arranged by the color of the book into a rainbow... ROYGBIV... but you would have to really know our books to find anything.

A home library is a place to keep those books that helped us create memories, cook good food, learn more about our world and grow in faith. A home library is a slice of heaven. 

Did you know there is a scripture about book collecting? It is one of my favorites:

"Now there are also many other things that Jesus did. Were every one of them to be written, I suppose that the world itself could not contain the books that would be written." -John 21:25

The scripture is a testimony to Jesus power, but it, also, speaks to the value of books. Even in Jesus time, books were something of great value. Perhaps even more so because they did not have the printing press. Imagine hand scribed volumes. Ancient books are rare and a bit mysterious. 

Today, I am grateful for home libraries.

No comments:

Post a Comment