Friday, May 10, 2019

Speak My Language


Year 7-Day 130: Today, I am grateful for the ones who speak my language.   
Speaking the same language makes communication easier. I am not simply talking about English, French or Spanish. Every community develops a shared lexicon that can be as strange as a foreign language to listeners not in "the know". Language fascinates me. It is more than words. It is how the words are arranged and the meanings assigned that help us communicate. 
"RAWR means "I love you." in dinosaur." Cute right? We love dinosaurs in our family, so I couldn't resist this image. 
Language can be complicated and understanding is not always instant. We have to be patient with ourselves and each other. 
For example, I grew us calling flip-flops "thongs". Now, a thong is associated with undergarments. I prefer the shoes. 
In the health insurance world, a PPO and an EOB are common abbreviations. Language helps us frame our world and understand it better. 
I once read that it was a very significant thing that Jesus's name was written in the three languages most common in the world at the time: Hebrew, Latin and Greek. 
"Jesus the Nazarene, King of the Jews" (John 19:19).
Anyone who could read would know exactly who they had crucified. 
Jesus came to rescue the lost and tear down the walls. He came so all might be offered the chance to know Him as Lord. For those who believe, there is a new language to learn. As we seek his face and find grace and goodness, we can't help but fall in love. It is good to gather with others who "speak the same language", too. 
We grow in knowledge and truth as we learn to delight in His Word.
Today, I am grateful for the ones who speak my language.

No comments:

Post a Comment