Thursday, May 2, 2019

Sandbags

Year 7-Day 122: Today, I am grateful for sandbags.

We are in flash flood warnings today.... again. They are serious business. They can take lives, destroy homes and damage businesses. Life has always flourished around rivers, but with the convenience and beauty comes the risk for flooding. 

Sandbags are the greatest weapon in the battle against flooding. Our city workers, military and a host of volunteers join together when it is time to sandbag. 

Isn't amazing that something as tiny as a grain of sand can hold back floodwaters? The physics of it may be explained, but I mostly see the miracle. God separated the land from the sea and bordered much of it with sand. 

There is a special kind of soul therapy that comes from walking barefoot on a sandy beach. The ocean is so vast and mighty... yet the waters can be halted by tiny grains of sand. How many grains of sand does it take to fill a sandbag? Surely, God only knows. 

We are told that God's thoughts of us can't be counted, like the sand. We are far more precious in his eyes. Why? God only knows. 

How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them! If I would count them, they are more than the sand. I awake, and I am still with you-Psalm 139:17-18   

He loves us through our disobedience and willful times. He grieves and longs for us to return to him with our hearts and our hearts desires. He waits. 

"I awake, and I am still with you."  He is still with us. Our God is patient.

The rains fall on everyone. Sometimes we need it desperately, when the earth is dry. Other times, it floods and destroys. There is comfort when we come together to weather the storm. It is another reason the scriptures encourage life in community. 

Sandbags remind me of His might displayed through a grain of sand. I am awed by all that can be accomplished when we work together. 
Today, I am grateful for sandbags.


No comments:

Post a Comment