Friday, July 26, 2019

Mature Love

image credit: Sujata Setia/But Natural Photography
Daily Gratitude Year 7-Day 207: Today, I am grateful for mature love. 

Love that is young, fresh and new is sweet. It is magical. It is fun. 

Love that is well seasoned by years, stretched through life changes and weathered by a few storms is my favorite. It always has been. 

You see, I saw my Grandpa Harry  Lindgren fall in love again after my Dad's mother, Mable, died with cancer. She died when when I was two. I have a few strong memories of Mabel Daschner Lindgren... but for most of my childhood and young adult years Grandma Marge was the only "Grandma Lindgren" I really knew. She was the second chance at love for my Grandpa Lindgren. She tried to resist him, but that charming, chivalrous man wore her down. 

I've always said that Grandpa Lindgren was one of the first great loves of my life. He made me feel special and treasured. He was full of stories, mischief, laughter and fun... all woven into one smart, hardworking, humble, God-fearing man. They say you often marry a man like your Dad... but in truth... I think I married one like my Grandpa. 

Grandpa and Grandma Marge would hold hands. They would kiss. They looked out for each others needs... but their wants, too. Grandma didn't ask for much.... just visits with her children and grandchildren. 

Grandpa Harry made sure Grandma Marge had a good sewing machine and plenty of yarn for crochet. He conceded to her "fancy tables" at every holiday. The food was worth the fancy. She could cook!  (Yes, Dad and Uncle Mel had to deal with fancy dishes and multiple forks. They did... and they lived.) She would cook the cow tongue for Grandpa with a happy heart when a new cow went to butcher. (Sorry if that grosses anyone out, but I was raised believing it was a gift if Grandpa shared his cow tongue.) Love can be expressed in so many ways. Some of them are strange. All of them are beautiful.  

"Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things." 
-1 Corinthians 13:7

These qualities in love make all the difference. A love that endures... it is precious and priceless. 

 Today, I am grateful for mature love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment