Monday, May 11, 2020

Deep Roots In Strong Winds

Year 8-Day 131: Today, I am grateful for deep roots in strong winds.

Growing up less than an hour out of Chicago, I have experienced strong wind. My SIL, Jennifer, and I joke about the "small craft warnings" when the winds are strong back home. I think it might mean the neighbors boat or camper could end up in your backyard before the night is over. Strong winds can be a menace; they can be dangerous. 

Strong roots can make all the difference when the winds begin to blow. A good set of roots can save a life. I think there are some big spiritual implications and applications. 

"When the root is deep, there is no need to fear the wind." 

Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in him,  rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving.-Colossians 2:6-7

The Bee-Gees asked, "How deep is your love?" (Now, my Earworm is singing) Perhaps, people of faith should ask, "How deep are your roots?" Are they deep enough to survive the strongest winds? Are they deep enough to drink from the groundwater when the season is dry? 

In the same way, we can be in Jesus... rooted deeply, built up and established in faith. And on top of that instruction, we are to be abounding in thanksgiving. 

When the winds are blowing, there are times all was seem to muster up is the courage to hold on. Remember, His strength is available at the place we surrender and say "I am yours." 

How deep are your roots? How deed is His love? His love is an endless source of hope, strength and comfort in troubled days. 

Today, I am grateful for deep roots in strong winds.

No comments:

Post a Comment