Friday, May 15, 2020

My Heart Responds

Year 8-Day 135: Today, I am grateful my heart responds. 

I love this scripture verse: 
"My heart has heard You say, "Come and talk with Me." And my heart responds, "Lord, I am coming." Psalm 27:8 (NLT)

There is an intimacy in this passage that makes me smile. There is something about knowing someone and being known in return. Attentiveness in a relationship is key. It makes a world of difference. 

Many, perhaps, wonder where God is in this world situation. Rest assured. He is present in every trial and trouble. It is easy to feel overwhelmed and anxious. 

Imagine in those moments of the deepest, darkest trials... God whispers. "Come and talk with Me." Why imagine this? Because that is exactly what he does. He calls for us to return to him. We can run to Him or we can ignore the call. He can be very persistant. 

I've always loved the story of young Samuel hearing God's voice and thinking it was Eli:

Suddenly the Lord called out, “Samuel!”
“Yes?” Samuel replied. “What is it?”  He got up and ran to Eli. “Here I am. Did you call me?”
“I didn’t call you,” Eli replied. “Go back to bed.” So he did.
Then the Lord called out again, “Samuel!”

Again Samuel got up and went to Eli. “Here I am. Did you call me?”
“I didn’t call you, my son,” Eli said. “Go back to bed.”
 Samuel did not yet know the Lord because he had never had a message from the Lord before. So the Lord called a third time, and once more Samuel got up and went to Eli. “Here I am. Did you call me?”

Then Eli realized it was the Lord who was calling the boy. So he said to Samuel, “Go and lie down again, and if someone calls again, say, ‘Speak, Lord, your servant is listening.’” So Samuel went back to bed. And the Lord came and called as before, “Samuel! Samuel!”
And Samuel replied, “Speak, your servant is listening.” - 1 Samuel 3:4-10

Isn't that the best response? "Speak for your servant is listening." Or as in the Psalmist's response, "Lord, I am coming." 

I am easily distracted by shiny things... bright things... and even unimportant things. Quiet time makes a difference. Making time and choosing a space to say, "I'm listening." In stillness, it is easier to hear His heartbeat. 

Learning to listen is like everything else. It takes time and practice, but it is worth the effort. 

Today, I am grateful my heart responds. 


No comments:

Post a Comment