Thursday, May 14, 2020

Seeds Planted

Year 8-Day 134: Today, I am grateful for seeds planted.

"Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds planted." Robert Louis Stevenson

I planted a few seeds after work today. I have a favorite vine that grows on my mailbox each summer. It is a bean pod hyacinth plant. It is a show-off plant, adding my favorite pops of green and purple to the yard. 

I plant it around Mother's Day and the flowers bloom late summer. The vine is wild and wonderful. It takes forever to come up. I usually have myself convinced the seeds were bad, but then it sprouts and grows quickly. My impatience isn't pretty. I always feel silly when it covers the mailbox to the point of breaking it, if we aren't careful. I need reminders that good things are worth the wait. 

Last year, we didn't plant any corn back home. The stress was terrible. This year, a fair amount is in the ground and we have high hopes that this week's rains will not wash out the seeds planted. Plant, pray, patience... and then the seedlings pop from the soil. It is a beautiful sight across the flat lands of the Midwest plains. 

Then we wait. The harvest seems so far away, and it is. We must grab the joy from this day. Tomorrow isn't promised. The harvest will come, but it takes time. There is joy in planting the seeds, if we pause to ponder it. Practice the pause. 

As my friends on Sesame Street would say... "Today has been brought to you be the letter "P"." Not sure how all the "P" words landed into days post... but there it is... ready to post and print.

Planting and patience are a powerful pair. God planted the garden, and then he placed man there with perfect provisions. 

"Then the Lord God planted a garden in Eden in the east, and there he placed the man he had made." -Genesis 2:8

Today, I am grateful for seeds planted.



No comments:

Post a Comment