Monday, May 4, 2020

Turtle Wisdom

Year 8-Day 125: Today, I am grateful for turtle wisdom. 

I have developed a soft spot for turtles over the past few years. We don't have sea turtles in Illinois, but we do have turtles and tortoises. I don't collect them, but I do respect them. 

Turtles don't hurry. Turtles don't worry. Turtles eventually get where they are going. I can learn a great deal by watching the turtles. 

One beautiful day last spring, I made a quick trip to Canton, IL. Actually, there is no fast road between Morton and Canton. It is only two lanes for a good portion of the trip. It is over run with wildlife. In fact, some call Route 24 the "Roadkill Highway". That is not a misnomer. 

On my trip, I saw so many animals that did not make it from one side of the road to the other. It is a marshy land, brimming with native species. Unfortunately, the vehicles are the resident wildlife's biggest threat. Let me be clear, the cars are not looking to hit the animals. Often, the animals hit the cars or leave them with no choice with limited road space and shoulder. Road kill happens... but it still makes me sad.  

As I made the drive that day, I started counting the animals that didn't make it. There were two deer, two squirrels, one opossum and I believe one raccoon. There may have been more, but that is what I remember. 

Then, I saw him. My distance vision is good and the turtle was big. He was making his way across the road... at a turtle's pace. I remember praying for him to make it. Then, I was cheering for him. With all the death on the road that day, my heart needed him to survive. 

My prayers were answered. Somehow, there was enough break in the traffic that he made it across the road without being crushed. I literally gave a victory cheer when I realized he was, indeed, going to be safe. It was a sweet victory after seeing so many animals who didn't make it to the other side. 

I was reminded that taking our time is sometimes the very thing that helps us through tough stuff. We want to hurry to the other side... to be where we want to be. There are times, life doesn't work like that. We have to slow down and take it one step at a time. Moving forward, never backward. Steady and sensibly. We can learn much from our turtle friends. 

This scripture is a good one for this season... and for the turtle's wisdom:

 Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer. -Romans 12:12

Today, I am grateful for turtle wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment