Saturday, May 2, 2020

Gatekeepers

Year 8-Day 123: Today, I am grateful for gatekeepers. 

I loved this quote:

"The mouth should have three gatekeepers. Is it true? Is it kind? And, is it necessary. 
-Toby Mac 

Gatekeepers are meant to guard and protect. They are not necessarily "armed and dangerous"... they are more about common sense. I know, it isn't that common, is it?

Social media is overrun with opinions right now. As humans, each one of us has a unique perspective based on our own experiences. My favorite reminders are to "be kind". Figuring out "what is true" is the hardest one, because there are half truths and distortions everywhere. And many things spoken are not really necessary. 

I am truly grateful for the positive things floating around.  I am grateful for the instant concerts, like the one I caught this evening online... although it took place only about a mile away. (Thank you Craig and Katrina Fitzpatrick.)

I was going to grab a scripture from James 4... but this one from Psalm 15 seemed to wrap this quote perfectly. 

Those who lead blameless lives and do what is right, speaking the truth from sincere hearts. Those who refuse to gossip or harm their neighbors or speak evil of their friends. Those who despise flagrant sinners, and honor the faithful followers of the Lord, and keep their promises even when it hurts. -Psalm 15:2-4

Living blameless is a tall order, right? Still, there are ways to work toward that goal.Taming the tongue (or the typing) can go a long way to living well in the eyes of the Lord. 

Today, I am grateful for gatekeepers. 





No comments:

Post a Comment