Saturday, May 9, 2020

Equal Measure

Year 8-Day 129: Today, I am grateful for love in equal measure. 

There are so many times in cooking I want to know the conversion between measurements without looking it up. I know the common ones, as I've cooked most of my life. This little image popped up in my Pinterest and it immediate triggered a thought. 

I am grateful for love in equal measure. 

When you are a parent the first time you think you will never be able to love another child as much as that first one. Then number two arrives, and lo and behold... you have enough love to go around. In fact, that second child is loved differently but equally. In equal measure, a parents love grows with every pair of little feet that arrive. 

We have two sons. But now, they have chosen our daughters. I have had the blessing of knowing my first daughter-in-love for all of her life. In fact, I held her first. She is one month older than Chase. I would never trade the ways I've been able to watch her grow from child to woman... to the love of my son's life. Yes... answered prayers. 

Now, our second son has chosen his mate. They will marry soon. I worried if my heart would have enough love for another daughter. One who came without all of the history. Guess what? My heart grew another size with plenty for her, too. Again, equal measure. I love her differently but equally. Our daughters are as different as our sons. Each one, the perfect match for our boys. 

Different but equal. I am grateful that God gave us the experience of families to teach us about His love. Families can be complicated at times, but there help us understand and reflect His love. Jesus told the story of the vineyard workers to help his disciples and those around them to better understand God's love for all of his children. It comes from Matthew 20:

And when those hired about the eleventh hour came, each of them received a denarius. Now when those hired first came, they thought they would receive more, but each of them also received a denarius. And on receiving it they grumbled at the master of the house, saying, ‘These last worked only one hour, and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden of the day and the scorching heat.’ But he replied to one of them, ‘Friend, I am doing you no wrong. Did you not agree with me for a denarius?  Take what belongs to you and go. I choose to give to this last worker as I give to you.  Am I not allowed to do what I choose with what belongs to me? Or do you begrudge my generosity?’ So the last will be first, and the first last.” -Matthew 20:9-16

There is celebration for each one who comes to join the family. The reward is heaven with Him. It is for everyone who loves with an open, complete and pure heart. The older I get, the more I have to learn. The more I understand, the more I grasp that my understands in minuscule.

I am grateful I don't have to understand His love to be acceptable in His sight. I am grateful he has given us sons and daughters... brothers and sisters... spouses... family in love more than law...  and extended family  to help us see into His heart. 


Today, I am grateful for love in equal measure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment