Wednesday, April 6, 2022

No Clones

Daily Gratitude Year 10 - Day 97: Today, I am grateful God does not clone.

Liz Curtis Higgs always makes me laugh, and she makes me think. 

"God does not compare. God does not clone. Each of us is a unique work of His creation." Liz Curtis Higgs 

The power of the little devices at our desks and in our hands could barely have been imagined 100 years ago. I can pick up my phone or iPad and have access to the original Hebrew and Greek for Biblical passage study. Crazy, easy access. It is amazing.

I copy, paste and scan most items I want to copy from documents to pictures. Humans are a little more complicated. Although family resemblances can be strong, it isn't ever a copy and paste. Each human is unique.

I never want "Daily Gratitude" to be political. Cloning is a scientific reality. Cloning has limitations and weaknesses. Man's arrogance has always landed us in trouble. We have to ask very real questions about practices like cloning. There are people who have made careers out of asking important questions surrounding scientific advances and medical ethics.

I do want to note the wonder of DNA and gene expressions from generation to generation. It is complicated and amazing.  It is incredible how God designed human reproduction. We can resemble our great-grandparents or a distant cousin, but each one of us is still unique... including identical twins. Identical twins are a reminder the appearance of sameness can be deceiving.  

"You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother’s womb." -Psalm 139:13

 Our God delights in our uniqueness. Should we not embrace it, too?

Today, I am grateful God does not clone.

No comments:

Post a Comment