Tuesday, April 12, 2022

She Sings Again

Daily Gratitude Year 10 - Day 103: Today, I am grateful she sings again.

Mama had a 1969 Harmony Rocket guitar. I remember it being red and pretty. She used it for teaching. It was always in the music room. I tried and tried to learn on it, but I was too wimpy. The guitar strings made my fingers hurt. I stuck with piano, but the guitar is the one instrument I would still love to pick up and learn.

When Randy and I were with Matt and Jennifer in St. Thomas, Matt mentioned Uncle Dave asked about her guitar. Tonight, our cousin Ed posted a video of him playing it. I have not heard it in years, but the sound brought back a flood of memories. As Ed said, "She sings again."

I've listened to the video several times. It makes Mama feel so close. Oh, Ed, you have made my day.

Mama believed music was for everyone. Mama was poor and I know her clothing and shoes reflected their limited means as a child, but when she picked up an instrument, the playing field leveled out. Her talent and diligence in practice made her stand out in a crowd, especially with an accordion or the organ.

Tonight, Ed played this old guitar and brought her back to life.

"Sing a new song of praise to him; play skillfully on the harp, and sing with joy." -Psalm 33:3

What was once neglected is now treasured. My heart overflows.

Today, I am grateful she sings again.

No comments:

Post a Comment