Saturday, April 23, 2022

Wonderfully Common Moments

 

Daily Gratitude Year 10 - Day 114: Today, I am grateful for the wonderfully common moments.

They are the moments that go by without really being noticed, treasured or savored. Hanging out with family on a Sunday afternoon or sitting in familiar chairs with your favorite people, these are the moments that make up our lives. Ordinary is often what we remember as extraordinary. 

When the girls were little, Matt and Jennifer would camp fairly regularly at a campground by our house. It was perfect. We could visit and enjoy the camping experience, then return home to sleep in our own comfy beds. It was the best of both worlds. Even better, the boys would often receive the invitation to stay with them overnight. The camper had plenty of room. 

I once, jokingly, asked Matthew why he never invited us to bring our tent for an overnight. My little brother is no dummy. He replied, "On, no! I know how that would go. Somehow... you'd end up in my comfortable bed and I'd be in the tent sleeping on the ground."   I laughed, because I knew he was right. 

This weekend has had gorgeous temperatures in the 70's. 75 degrees is my favorite. The windows are open and the breeze smells fresh. We have had some seasonal firsts, including sitting under the pergola out back for a little while. 

Today, I was thinking back on Jesus' time on earth. He often connected with people in very deep ways in the most ordinary moments. Walking down a road, going to a friend's home for dinner, a woman drawing water from a well or casual encounters at church or in the street. Ordinary days with extraordinary moments. Some of them are life changing. 

"As Jesus passed on from there, he saw a man called Matthew sitting at the tax booth, and he said to him, “Follow me.” And he rose and followed him. And as Jesus reclined at table in the house, behold, many tax collectors and sinners came and were reclining with Jesus and his disciples. " -Matthew 9:9-10

Matthew went. No drama. No big scene. He simply got up and followed Jesus. Matthew quickly realized that Jesus was happy to make room at the table for all.  

A shared meal or snack is a wonderfully common moment. Jesus can take that kind of moment and change a life.

Today, I am grateful for the wonderfully common moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment