Monday, April 25, 2022

The Secret Ingredient

 

Daily Gratitude Year 10 - Day 116: Today, I am grateful for the "secret ingredient". 

Mama was the oldest of 10 kids. She married at 18. My dad was 28. Many of their farm friends were Dad's age. She couldn't wait to be a grandma. She had a chance to practice when her sister, my Aunt Kathy, married a man with three sons... including a set of identical twin boys. Then, Aunt Kathy and Uncle Dave had Molly and another set of ... wait for it.. identical twin boys. (You can't make this stuff up.)  Paul, Ed, Andy, Molly, James and David were Mama's practice grandchildren in many ways. 

Molly was outnumbered, but the girl learned to hold her own in the middle of the pack. She is fierce in the most beautiful ways. I was off to college when Molly was born, but April was around more. She loved Molly like a little sister. The kitchen was the heart of our home, and the music room the heartbeat. Mama, April and Molly could often be found in the kitchen. 

 When Molly shared the picture of this spice tin she had found, I knew it had to be today's gratitude post. When Mama died last November, Molly shared some beautiful memories of Mama for her service. This excerpt is worth sharing. Molly, I hope you don't mind:

"My fondest memory of Aunt Ina was with regard to her “Love spice”.  She sprinkled it on EVERYTHING whether it was a sweet or savory dish.  Everything always tasted better when she sprinkled it on.  We could always tell if she "forgot" and would bring our plate back and ask for some spice.  I remember asking her what kind of spice it was.  She responded with "oh it's a secret".  It wasn't until I was an adult that realized that the spices were actually nothing at all.  The jar was and always had been empty.  It was her "love" that made everything better, and that is the one thing I will miss the most.  Her love." -Molly Maisonneuve Clyden

I can picture Mama sprinkling it with dramatic flair. Now, Molly can continue the tradition with her family, too. Mama lived the Gospel more than she preached it. Her faithful walk spoke volumes. If one verse summed her up it would be 1 Corinthians 16:14-

"Let all that you do be done in love."

It truly is the secret ingredient. Love changes everything.

Today, I am grateful for the "secret ingredient". 

No comments:

Post a Comment