Thursday, August 6, 2020

Safer In His Hands

Year 8-Day 219: Today, I am grateful to be safer in His hand. 

"If my life is surrendered to God, all is well. Let me not grab it back, as though it were in peril in his hand but would be safer in mine?" -Elizabeth Elliot

Read that quote again; read it until it sinks into your soul.

Surrender requires a decision. Surrender requires us to give up control to the one who holds all of our tomorrows. Why is that so hard at times? He actually holds the whole world in His hands, as the children's song taught us. Yet... I fight to keep control over my little corner. Do I think I can do it better? 

"In his hand are the depths of the earth; the heights of the mountains are his also." -Psalm 95:4

The ocean deep and the mountain heights are not unknown to him. Neither are my troubles, trials and concerns. He knows us from head to toe. Learning to listen and learning to let Him lead requires us leaning into His goodness and grace. It is more than lip service. It is giving up our own agendas to explore the adventures He has in store for our lives. 

We still fight him at times... at least, I do. There is a freedom in letting go that changes us from the inside out. We can trust His hand and His heart. 

Elizabeth Elliot returned to the Amazon after her husband and his friends were murdered by the people very people with whom they were determined to share the Good News of the Gospel of Jesus. I've often wondered how she did it. Not only did she return as a widow with small children, she never lost sight of the mission her husband help write on her heart. 

People thought her nuts, but she knew she would be safer in His hand than choosing her own path. Her decision and her witness will echo into eternity.  

Today, I am grateful to be safer in His hand. 

No comments:

Post a Comment