Monday, March 1, 2021

Lessons In Clay

 

Year 9- Day 60: Today, I am grateful for lessons in clay.

Our school mascot is "The Potters". Clay Potter shows up to events all around the district. Clay Potter is a hit with kids of all ages. 

In the beginning, I found the "Potter" a strange mascot. After all,  I was a Rocket (Nash Jr High), a Comet (Central High School) and a Tiger (Olivet Nazarene University). To be completely honest, it felt like a demotion. But then a wise man (our MJHS Athletic Director) looked at me and said, "You've got to own it." His attitude helped mold mine. 

Our town had a local pottery for many years. The mascot is a reflection of the town's history. The longer I live here, the more I've grown to love our mascot. After all, educators help shape young lives. 

An art teacher once told me that it is difficult for clay to go completely bad. Fresh clay is much easier to work than old clay, needing to be brought back to a pliable state. Our art students have more success with fresh clay. Our art teacher tries to provide them with the good stuff, so their first experiences are successful. 

Clay becomes something special because of the potter's vision, persistence and patience. A pot, a mug, a bowl, a vase or a pitcher. It is up to the potter to choose. Then, the clay must submit to the potter's hands. 

“You see, a potter can only mold the clay when it lies completely in his hand. It requires complete surrender.” ~ Corrie Ten Boom

That quote challenges my heart. Complete surrender takes trust and courage. 

"But now, O Lord, you are our Father; we are the clay, and you are our potter; we are all the work of your hand." - Isaiah 64:8

In an act of submission, we can become more than we are. Learning to say, " Not my will, but Thine be done." The clay isn't really anything special until the artist begins to work it. There are times I fight the Master Potter's plan for me. I want to shape my own destiny. Then, I pause to remember that real peace comes in surrender. 

Truthfully, His ways are always better. 

Today, I am grateful for lessons in clay.




No comments:

Post a Comment