Friday, March 26, 2021

One Day At A Time

 

Year 9- Day 85:  Today, I am grateful one day at a time.

When we were little, Grandpa Bess drove "The Pill Wagon" delivering for the Jaffe Drug stores. He loved to drive and he loved the people he met along the way. 

Somehow, Grandpa offered his family as entertainment for nursing homes where he delivered medications. It is how we spent many Sunday afternoons after church. We sang, danced, did acrobatics and played our instruments. Grandpa was in his glory. His big talent contribution was playing the harmonica and dancing the polka with one of us while Mama Ina Mae played the Beer Barrel Polka on the accordion

My memories are rich of those days. As a child, I have strong memories of the residents reaching out to touch our youthful hands. Some would smile, some would cry and some would call us by their own children's names. Mama taught us how to respond with gentleness and compassion.  I learned a great deal by engaging the residents. We wanted to make them happy.  I think we did. 

One of the songs we sang every time was "One Day At A Time". Often, Mama, April and I would sing together. That song struck a chord with me as I looked around at the weak, the weary and well worn. We can't always control what comes our way, but we can choose who we respond to the day. 

Jesus wants us to trust his heart. Really, fully and completely. Evidence of trust is letting go of the worry. 

“So don’t worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will bring its own worries. Today’s trouble is enough for today." -Matthew 6:34

Today has enough trouble. Can I get an "amen"? Let today's troubles be enough. Limit our energy spent to what is before us on this one day. Never forget, we are Children of the Living God and he will not abandon His children. 

Peace. Be still. Know He is God.

Today, I am grateful one day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment