Thursday, March 18, 2021

Read To Me

 Year 9- Day 77:  Today, I am grateful my parents valued reading. 

My parents knew reading well would help with academic achievement. I remember they purchased the "Hooked on Phonics" series from a television ad. They knew that building our reading skills would benefit us in every way. I was reading at four and devouring books faster than I could check them out from our town library. 

I remember Dad & Mom reading to us from a Bible Story series that had about a dozen volumes. The artwork was beautiful and the stories captivating. 

One of my favorite memories of raising our sons was reading to them. With more than five years between them... and six school years... they were never at the same reading levels while in school. I remember the rare books that would appeal to both. I have sweet memories of Chase joining in to listen, even when the book was beneath his reading level or area of interest. There is something special about pausing to take in a good book. It is even better with loved ones.

Reading is a fabulous way to take in information. Reading helps us to write God's work on our hearts. 

"Jesus replied, “What does the law of Moses say? How do you read it?” -Luke 10:26

Yes, Jesus would often ask people if they had read or studied the law of Moses. Was it a call to accountability? 

Books are still treasured in many places in the world. We take them for granted, because they are so readily available in our culture. Libraries are still full of magic.

Today, I am grateful my parents valued reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment