Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Piano Tuners

 

Year 9- Day 82:  Today, I am grateful for piano tuners. 

The guy who tunes our piano is the best. Tom loves old pianos and rejoices in seeing instruments treasured with care. My old Stark cabinet grand was sorely in need of a tuning. She needed it before the COVID lockdowns began. She finally had her first half of her tuning today. She is already much improved. It will be a two step process this time. 

When she is out of tune, I don't play as much. I was reminded why I love to play when I sat down tonight. Every care in the world fades away when the music plays. My piano books are old friends. Some are from childhood. The old, red "Great Hymns of Faith" hymnal is full of the songs that helped me develop my understanding of who God is and why Jesus came. 

The piano tuner has to have a good ear and a patient hand. Tuning takes time, talent and the willingness to get to know each piano's unique personality. They are not all the same. It is part of what makes a piano, a guitar and other stringed instruments more partners in music than our possessions. We work with our instruments to achieve a certain sound. Tuning is an important part of the relationship. 

Are there times in our faith journey that we feel out of tune? We all grow weary at times. It is easy to neglect our souls. It isn't long before we are miserable. When we tune our hearts to Jesus everything changes. He is in perfect pitch. We try to match His pitch and His melody. It takes some practice. We grow along the way. 

"The Lord is my strength and shield. I trust him with all my heart. He helps me, and my heart is filled with joy. I burst out in songs of thanksgiving." -Psalm 28:7

My heart is filled with joy and sometimes I burst out in song. Especially, when sitting at a freshly tuned piano.

Today, I am grateful for piano tuners. 

No comments:

Post a Comment