Sunday, March 21, 2021

Totes

 

Year 9- Day 80:  Today, I am grateful for totes.

I love tote bags. I keep telling the Love-of-my-Life that you can never have too many. I use them for so many things. My cousin, Debbie Cyr, has been a 31 consultant so I have some wonderful totes in my collection. I use them every, single day. 

Some days, a tote keeps me organized. Other days, it helps me to not forget the things I need to take to school or an event. In the summer, it can hold items needed for a shared meal or even pool items when the beach bag isn't big enough. 

In language, "toting" can mean to carry something that is heavy and awkward. I think the phrase is more common in the south or in rural areas. Toting lunches to the fields is one of my favorite childhood memories during the spring and harvest seasons. Today, I would use a utility tote. Back then, we used a blue speckled roasting pan. Both items were suitable to tote a hearty snack to the field.

During lent, I find myself reflecting our Savior who chose to tote our sins to the cross. It was a load He did not have to bear. He chose to say "yes" to the Father's will. Our sins were heavy and awkward for the Sinless One. He toted them up Calvary's Hill, anyway. 

"He personally carried our sins in his body on the cross so that we can be dead to sin and live for what is right. By his wounds you are healed."- 1 Peter 2:24

His decision left our hands and feet unscarred from the weight of our sins. What was too much for us to bear, he carried on his own shoulders. I can't even begin to fathom the depth of His pain or the burden of our failures and transgressions against God. Still, He said "Yes" so we might be spared.

He toted our sins to the cross. From the cross he endured the grave. He defeated death and won the victory. It is our commission to carry the Good News wherever we go. 

We can't put the gospel in a utility tote, but we can use our totes to share a meal with someone in need or to pack a care package for a family with a new baby. 

Today, I am grateful for totes.

No comments:

Post a Comment