Monday, August 9, 2021

National Book Lovers Day

Daily Gratitude Year 9- Day 220: Today, I am grateful for National Book Lovers Day!

I love a good book. I love a good Librarian. So many of the ladies in our family are readers. In fact, we have two librarians. 

There is something about discussing a good book or an excellent series that brings us together. Reading books is often thought of as a solo leisure experience, but there is value in hearing how others respond to the book. 

From clay tablets  to today’s eBooks, literature has played a crucial role in preserving cultures, educating the masses, and storytelling. Thanks to Johannes Gutenberg’s 15th-century printing press, anyone, not just royalty, monks or landed gentry, could read and own books. Without the printing press, where would we be today?

My favorite books have characters that develop in a series. We watch them grow relationships as we turn the pages. For anyone who has read Evanovich's "One for the Money" series, you know what I mean. How many cars can one woman total? How many grandmas bring a gun to the dinner table? Dee Henderson's O'Malley series is an all-time favorite. I never wanted the series to end. 

My Bible is my favorite book. I love the scripture where John remarks about all the things he didn't record about Jesus. 

"Now there are also many other things that Jesus did. Were every one of them to be written, I suppose that the world itself could not contain the books that would be written." -John 21:25

A day to celebrate those who love books is a great idea.

Today, I am grateful for National Book Lovers Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment