Sunday, August 29, 2021

Hunger and Thirst

Daily Gratitude Year 9 - Day 241: Today, I am grateful we can hunger and thirst.

I love food. I love trying new foods and the tried and true "comfort" foods that show up on cold winter's nights and at church and family potlucks. Food is necessary for life. Food satisfies our need for cultural norms and comforts, too. 

My energetic friend, Jim Sedgwick, used to say:  "Live like every day's a holiday and every meal's a feast." Jim was a White Sox fan in Central Illinois. He loved his family, his church, the White Sox and the students he served. One of Jim's last acts on this earth was attending church choir practice. After all these years, I can still hear his words, 'Live like every day's a holiday and every meal's a feast." He did. He was passionate about everything. He inspired me. 

This scripture might be a mystery to some. Can it be unwrapped to make more sense? 

"Jesus replied, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never be hungry again. Whoever believes in me will never be thirsty." -John 6:35

In our passions, it is easy to forget that food is not only to give us joy and as a part of celebrations. Honestly, in the scriptures, food is mostly mentioned as nourishment. We are to be grateful each time there is food to eat and never ungrateful if we have safe food that will nourish our needy human form. 

Think about it. There are times when food is a part of celebration (the prodigal son returns, the harvest, Passover, weddings, etc.). I don't know that every meal requires meat and a dessert. God provided manna, water and quail to the Israelites in the desert years. I don't recall desserts in the desert. Don't hate me... and share the scripture if I've missed it... but I don't find it there. He was their "enough". A relationship with Him and relationships built in Him are our best desserts.

Food is sustenance. We need food and water to survive. Hunger and thirst trigger the need to eat and drink. It isn't just for pleasure. In fact, food for nourishment is not likely to contribute to health issues. I know gluttony doesn't please God, but it is such an easy sin for me. I need to rethink food as nourishment and this scripture comes more clearly into focus. 

"We will never be hungry and thirsty again."  What a promise. Does it hold water? For those who survive being beaten and starved for the Gospel of Christ, what would their perspective be? I've seen stories and what they remember was God sustaining them more than the misery. I've not lived it, so I can't testify from a personal perspective. 

Corrie Ten Boom, in "The Hiding Place" talks more of how they shared everything they had. She mentions the hunger pains but it did not become her focus. She poured her life into helping others survive from day to day.  Three different prisons, the last being the infamous Ravensbruck concentration camp located near Berlin, Germany, and there she found God ever present... meeting their needs by his spirit... even when their stomachs rumbled. 

When we love The Word of God, can it distract us from eating... absolutely. Do those imprisoned for sharing the Good News find hope in spite of growing hunger and empty bellies. I believe many testify, "Yes". In the physical hunger and suffering, His Word becomes a kind of food. Praise songs help them manage the suffering. Jesus, when tempted by Satan quoted scripture pointing us to God's Word. "
But Jesus told him, “No! The Scriptures say, ‘People do not live by bread alone, but by every word that comes from the mouth of God.’” Matthew 4:4

What is it in your life that you crave? For me, it is a creative time...especially if it involves a camera or paper arts . Bible Journaling has helped me develop a new craving. I love making notes in my Bibles. The notes tell my faith story. It is an intimate snapshot of how living and breathing the Word of God can be... if we read it. 

He satisfies my hunger, my thirst for answers and captures the hope found in Jesus. The wonder of wonders is how easy it is to neglect our "daily bread".  

I am grateful for Bibles in a the language I speak. I cut my teeth on NIV. I love the ESV and NLT. The Message and The Names of God  versions are a great way to see old and familiar passages with new eyes. 

Once we fall in love with His Word, it satisfies a hunger nothing else can. We were created with a "hole in our souls" only He can make whole. Think of a puzzle with a missing piece. Only He can fill that God shaped spot in our souls. The world seeks peace through wealth, power and stuff. It never works. Nothing satisfies our souls like getting to know the Holy One... the three in one... Father, Son and Holy Spirit. 

"God blesses those who hunger and thirst for justice, for they will be satisfied." - Matthew 5:6

Today, I am grateful we can hunger and thirst. 




No comments:

Post a Comment